How Microsoft making windows more usable for a developer with ease of use and developer experience, recently they have announced three major features which will attract developers more to use Windows, Let's talk about one by one
Windows terminal is better command line interface then their cmd and PowerShell CLI, It supports cmd and PowerShell both. And if you are using WSL it supports that also.
There a lot of advantages of it
- UI wise it has tabs, you can open one or multiple instances of PowerShell, cmd and WSL Linux.
- Smooth UI
- You can choose color and themes also
- You can create multiple profiles
- You can customize the key binding
- Shortcut keys to open PowerShell, cmd and any Linux distro quickly in new tab
Windows package manager (winget)
It's Linux inspired package manager which allows installing packages from cli, there were multiple unofficial that are also available like
choco. This is natively part of windows Windows 10 2004.
There are simple command to install packages similar to Debian apt
>winget install <package-id>
example of installing NodeJs
winget install OpenJS.Nodejs
WSL2 has a full Linux kernel and it supports most of the Linux native features, in WSL1 daemon was not possible but now you can run services too.
You can start/stop services, I tried to install Nginx and I was able to start service too.